Saturday, July 14, 2007

Home & Technology

Just returned from a conference on violence prevention. Hubby is away on a mission trip where there is no water or electricity. I feel so disconnected. Realizing even more how dependent we have become on technology and in the same instant I am resentful and grateful. Angry that I am dependent on it, grateful that we have it. When I was in my hotel room and couldn't get my cell phone to turn back on I literally panicked. No one could reach me without that. I was terrified for a few moments, until I took out the battery, banged the phone on the table, and all those ridiculous things we try when something won't work. Needless to say I could have picked up the phone in the room and called my family, but it was that sense of being so disconnected that was anxiety producing. I looked up the T-mobile phone numbers in the phone book, of course having no idea if any of them were close to where I was in the strange city...once I got it going again I did not turn it off until I came home last night. I haven't tried to turn it on yet today.

Coming home was such a relief. I had a great trip, met lots of wonderful people from around the world, but felt so good being at home. Running into my niece in the grocery store was a wonderful blessing because all of sudden I felt connected again...someone I really knew was right there. These are wierd thoughts, but I am so grateful for having family and home and realizing how very special their presence is in my life. There really is "no place like home".

3 comments:

dap said...

Hi Glenna - glad you made it back home safely! Talk about feeling disconnected - although I do have Leo and haven't had any technology issues. But sometime I wish I did so that people wouldn't expect to get a hold of me 24x7.

I hope they're doing well in South America. I haven't heard anything, except from Jenn saying that she made it to Miami! Hopefully they're having a great time.

Also glad to see that you're continuing with the blog! Me too! The training is going well... Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mum,

I totally understand that feeling

So glad you're a blogger,
now I just have to get writing again...

Thanks for the inspiration

Manna

JennJoy said...

Hey Mum!
I'm just now getting caught up on all of your writing.

It was weird on the other end too...not having the technology and knowing that your phone won't work whether it's on or not. Wish you could have been there with us, but I agree -- there's no place like home!
Love you,
Jenn